Monday, March 5, 2012

Spaghetti & Meatballs

I really love Italian food, I could live on pasta. Spaghetti just seems to be a staple in every kitchen and every family has their version.

To be honest I haven't found a from scratch recipe for the sauce that I like but this year when tomatoes are in season I really want to give it a go. So for my sauce I like Hunts sauce the Zesty and Spicy flavor, it has a little kick to it, so I don't have add Tony's for a change!

I was never a big fan of meatballs but then I found this recipe and after a little adapting I really enjoy them. In fact I'm think of try it as a meatloaf. I'll let you know how that one turns out.

I braise my meatballs in the sauce, it just seems to merge all the flavors. If you don't have fresh herbs you can use dried, just use a one-to-three ratio (one part dried to three part fresh). I use Parmigiano-Reggiano or Asiago cheese and it's worth the additional expense over Parmesan, but feel free to try it with Parmesan.

This recipe makes about 32 large meatballs, serving 8 - 12, or enough for 2 nights dinners. If you only want to make enough for one meal just cut everything in half. Or put half in the freezer for next time! I tried this last time in the crock pot, I started it up to step 6 on the stove and then transferred it to the crock pot. It turned out fine but it wasn't as good although everyone in my house seemed to enjoy it just the same.

Spaghetti & Meatballs

Ingredients:

Sauce

2 large jars or cans of Tomato Sauce (I use Hunts Zesty & Spicy Tomato Sauce)
2 can condensed tomato soup
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp Italian seasoning

Meatballs

2 large eggs
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 cup chopped yellow onions
3 tsp minced garlic
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 tsp freshly chopped basil leaves
1 tsp freshly chopped oregano leaves
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp Tony's
1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Hot cooked spaghetti noodles.

Directions:

1. Add all the ingredients for the sauce in a large pot, simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
2. Place all the ingredients for the meatballs in a large bowl. and stir until all the ingredients are combined. 
3. To form the meatballs take 2 tablespoons of meat between your hands and roll them into a ball. To make this easier make sure your hands are damp. Place the meatballs on a plate.
4. When you have made all the meatballs, gently place the balls into the sauce one at a time, I use a ladle so that I don't burn myself. 
5. Cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes, DO NOT STIR!
6. After 10 minutes gently stir when the meatballs have risen to the top of the pot. Simmer for an additional 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan.
7. Serve with your hot cooked noodles.

To make a meal out of it serve with some fresh salad and garlic bread.

Happy Home Cooking!

2 comments:

  1. Still perfecting my homemade spaghetti recipe, but I always use wine. ;) It ads the perfect kick. When I get it down, I'll share it with you. One thing is for sure though, it has to include garlic, olives, sauteed peppers, fresh basil... Mmm. :)

    ReplyDelete