Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Yunnan Chitsu Pingcha

No I have not completely lost my mind and started blogging nonsense. My husband spent last week in China on a business trip. When he was leaving their contact and interpreter gave them a gift of this black tea - Yunnan Chitsu Pingcha. It is so beautifully packaged and is an extremely expensive tea that tastes better the longer you mature it. Isn't the box beautiful!!!




Now I grew up to Tetley tea bags, interest (or maybe not so) fact about tea bags, they used to wrap the tea leaves in muslin cloth as packaging. When people got home they just put the cloth wrapped tea in a pot and brewed it and thus the tea bag was invented. 

Over the last year or so I've found a new love for tea, I'm talking hot tea not ice tea, I still can't get into it even though I live in Ice Tea central. I have also started using loose tea leaves as well as bagged teas. So I was so excited to try this beautiful black tea.



So last night we brewed a pot and it was an awesome tea. It has a wonderful earthy taste and has a red color. I think I have a new favorite tea. Next time Ken goes to China I'll have to get him to bring back more. He said they prepared it on these carved stone trays that were beautiful and he almost bought one but decided not to, although I think he regrets it now. So I can see him getting one in the future. They really take their tea seriously in China.



Now as a food person and someone that adores Chinese food I was a little jealous that he was going to get to eat authentic food. However before he left one of his associates who is from Vancouver said the food was horrible. We thought perhaps he was exaggerating and that coming from Louisiana where they eat everything it would be fine. WRONG!!! My husband can eat pretty much anything but he couldn't handle the food. He said the smell was horrific and that they seemed to like cooking everything in fish oil. He had plenty of eel, octopus and other delightful sea creatures. Needless to say PF Changs has now reached a whole new level of appreciation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment