Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Strawberry Patties

Happy Valentine's Day!

I don't normally make a big deal for Valentines and if we weren't all nursing colds I'd do more but I decided to give these little gems a go.

At Christmas time I made Peppermint Patties for the first time. Oh my goodness were they beyond delicious and didn't last too long either.

One of the things I miss the most about living in Britain is the candy or sweeties! Man the choice, the quality and the yummy yummy taste. There are a few things I can find here from time to time and Cadburys is readily available but I have to admit I'm more of a Galaxy girl, it's just so creamy. Talking about creamy I prefer milk chocolate. Dark gives me migraines and I really don't like bitter-sweet.

One of my favorite things is Roses chocolates, especially the strawberry and orange cream. And let's not forget my annual indulgence for Cadburys Creme Eggs - man those things are beyond addictive and several of the pounds I need to lose are pure Creme eggs.

Anyhow before I drive myself anymore crazy back to the recipe at hand. The Peppermint Patties were so good and creamy and I got to thinking about those Roses strawberry creams. So I thought what if I switched the peppermint essence for strawberry essence? Can you say DELICIOUS!!!! And there was a nice surprise that when I added the strawberry essence it changed the color to a pretty pink, perfect for the theme at hand!

Talking about theme, as its Valentines I took a small heart shaped cutter and made them into little chocolate covered hearts. I went and got the good stuff for the chocolate to cover them and splurged on Godiva milk chocolate.

I'm not very good at the dipping part and need alot of practice so mine didn't turn out as pretty as I would like but then that gives them that homemade look - well that's my theory and I'm running with it.

Strawberry Patties



Makes about 44 1-inch hearts

1 (32oz) bag confectioner/powdered sugar
4 Tablespoons softened butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp strawberry extract
3/4 cup cream
24 oz milk chocolate

1. Mix together sugar, butter, vanilla and strawberry extract in a large bowl. You may wish to use a whisk to combine it.
2. Stir in the cream, it will be stiff to mix but you want a smooth consistency and if you need be add a little more cream do. (As I was making it I was wondering why I didn't do this in my kitchenaid mixer, let it do all the hard work!)
3. Take a tablespoon size portion of the mix and roll into a ball. Place on a baking sheet that has been lined with wax paper and flatten. Repeat with all the mixture.
4. If you want to shape the patties with a cutter then place them in the freezer for 20 minutes. Remove and using the cutter cut out your hearts. Place back in the freezer for 20 minutes more.
5. If you didn't shape them place the round patties on the cookie sheet in the freezer for about 40 minutes.
6. Melt your chocolate in a bowl when you are almost ready to remove them from the freezer, you want a very runny consistency.
7. One by one dip the patties in the chocolate and place on clean wax paper sheet to set. You can speed it up by placing them back in the freezer for a few minutes.
8. Store them in the refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment