Saturday, March 3, 2012

Fried Catfish

Down here in Louisiana Fried Catfish is a stable. In Northern Ireland it's Cod. I do have to say that I much prefer catfish.

Again like yesterday I let my husband do the hard work here. He's so good at it!! (Just in case he's reading this!)

Unlike my fried chicken I use a pre-made seasoning mix and my favorite is Zatarain's Seasoned Fish-Fri Crispy Southern Style. There's just something special about how it tastes. Although in true Home Cooking Mama style, my husband adds a generous helping of Tony's seasoning to it. 


This past Alligator hunting season my husband got to kill an alligator and he brought the yummy meat home. So when we fried the catfish this time we took some gator meat out too. I also have to add that he caught the catfish too, he loves to fish but then he is a Louisiana son!! Alligator is delicious, I think it's actually one of my favorite things down here, after crawfish and crab. We just cooked the delicious nuggets of meat the same way as the catfish. If you are not from the South and you ever get a chance to try it it is worth it. People compare it to chicken but I actually think it tastes better!

Fried Alligator

Now back to the catfish, I really don't have a recipe for you because firstly my husband usually makes it and secondly it's not that difficult so I'll give it a go!!! Again I'm sharing our recipes and if you are following the Month of Home Cooked Meals then if normally your family gets frozen fish then go for it. 

Fried Fish



Ingredients:

1 lb catfish fillets (I prefer thin cut)
1 box of Zatarain's Seasoned Fish-Fri Crispy Southern Style
Tony's Seasoning (optional depending on your spice taste)
Vegetable Oil for frying
Milk

Directions:

1. Place fillets in a large pan or bowl and cover with milk and sprinkle with Tony's seasoning. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
2. In a ziploc bag add the Fish-fri and season with Tony's.
3. Add the fish and toss to cover completely.
4. Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet (or heavy saucepan/skillet) until it reaches 325 degrees F.
5. Add the fish to the oil and cook until lightly golden brown.
6. Serve with tartar sauce and ketchup, or my preference mayonnaise (much to my father-in-law's disgust! He hates mayonnaise\)

To make a complete meal out it serve with fries, corn on the cob, coleslaw and hush puppies.

Happy Home Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment