Thursday, March 1, 2012

Beef fajitas

For day 2 we're having beef fajitas. Now I'm going to admit this is one of my not made from scratch meals. I experimented years ago with a seasoning recipe but it didn't quite do it for me. So I buy a packet of fajita seasoning. The prepackaged kits are really good and you will find them and taco kits in my cupboard because it's quick and easy.

I use beef because that's what my husband prefers but you can very easily use chicken. Any beef I use I buy on sale and freeze, most stores put their meat on sale regularly so if you can figure out the timing and buy the amount will need until the next sale it can make it more affordable.

To make it more of a meal I make a big bowl of my guacamole and heat up some queso (from a jar, need to add to my list of things to learn how to make!) and add some tortilla chips.

Beef fajitas

Ingredients

1lb sirloin steak
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 packets of fajitas seasoning
1 medium red onion, cut into long strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into long strips
1 green bell pepper, cut into long strips
1 package of flour tortillas
Fixings (optional) Sour cream
                 Salsa
                                  Shredded cheese
                                 Shredded lettuce

1. Cut steak into thin strips. It's easier to cut thin if it's a little frozen.
2. In a ziploc bag or bowl mix oil and seasoning and add the steak. Stir and make sure all the steak is covered with the seasoning. Place in the fridge and allow to marinate for at least an hour, the longer the better.
3. I use a cast iron skillet to cook my fajitas. Heat the skillet until nice and hot and empty the steak, oil and seasoning mix into it. Stir and cook the steak until it is browned. If you like your steak rare you may just want to cook it for a short time or longer if you are more a well done kind of person.
4. Add the onions and bell peppers to the steak and continue cooking until the bell peppers are softened but still have a little crunch.
5. Heat the tortillas as the package describes. Serve.

Happy Home Cooking!

1 comment:

  1. I made these Sunday and my WHOLE family LOVED them!! Thanks so much for having this blog!!

    ReplyDelete