Saturday, March 17, 2012

Chili

Chili is one of those dishes that just says yummy, filling food. It's also one of those foods that has no set standard, it depends where you are and who you are with. It was one of the first things that we were taught to cook in Home Economics in school, but I can guarantee it wasn't the most flavorsome version!

I first developed this recipe when I decided I wanted to throw a cowboy themed 1st birthday party for my oldest son. And well when it came to the menu nothing says cowboy like a big old pot of chili!!!!

The original version had chunks of meat instead of ground meat and I actually really liked it but in our house ground is preferred. Although after hearing about the pink slime they add to the ground meat I'm thinking that I might start grinding my own meat. I haven't watched the news articles too closely because I don't think I could stomach it. Oh for the days of the local butcher where you could watch them grind it in front of you to order!!!!!

Chili


Serves about 6 

Ingredients



1 lb groundmeat (I use the leanest I can find 90/10 or 93/7)
1 1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic
2 tsp finely chopped jalapeno pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1 (28oz) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
1 (15oz) can dark red kidney beans, reduced sodium or no sodium, drained and rinsed
1 (15oz) can ranch style beans
1 cup water

Directions:

1. In a large Dutch Oven add ground beef, onion, green bell pepper, garlic and jalapeno and cook until browned and vegetables softening.


2. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. You may also add it to your crock pot at this point and let it cook there for about 8 hours on low. If you started in the morning it would be perfect for dinner.

To complete the meal, serve with rice, or baked potato (my favorite) or with Fritos and cheese!

Happy Home Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment