Saturday, March 17, 2012

Peri Peri Chicken

I lived in London for 3 years and right across from my flat they opened a Nando's chicken. I LOVED this place. I love chicken anyway but something about the way they cooked it and the sauce just was divine! Anyhow that was a long time ago and the nearest Nando's is Washington D.C. (The irony is like Starbucks they have one in Belfast now after I move away!!!)

We were watching a cooking show, the BBQ University, man does that show make me hungry, and he was cooking Peri Peri Chicken Wings. They looked so good and it reminded me of Nando's. So I got on their website and the wonderful, thoughtful people have put their sauce in a jar and they will ship it to you!!! Yes even down here in Louisiana. So I order some and created this dish!!!! It is definitely a huge hit around here!!!!


Anyhow I do cheat and use a jar sauce! However you may remember my weekend project that I started a while back to grow some Buckeye Chilies, which is gives the Peri Peri Sauce it's Peri Peri. So once my babies grow I'll be experimenting with my own version. For now I order regularly from Nando's and if you wish to do so too, click this link, US Store Garlic Peri Peri Sauce or UK Nandos Shop. I prefer the Garlic Peri Peri Sauce. I have found it in at World Market in the US but the selection is extremely limited.


I also like to use the mini sweet peppers in the dish but regular peppers will work too. You can easily find them at Target or Walmart.

 


Peri Peri Chicken

Ingredients:

8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
2 bottles Nando's Garlic Peri Peri Sauce
12 mini sweet peppers or 1 small red and 1 small yellow bell pepper
1/8 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
2. In a hot skillet, sear the chicken skin side down until golden brown. Flip and brown the under side. Remove from skillet and set aside on a plate.



2. If using mini pepper slice in half and de-seed. If regular peppers, cut into 1 inch slices.
3. In a large 8 x 13 dish add the two bottles of sauce, vinegar and water and mix until combined.


4. Add the chicken, skin side up and add the peppers.
5. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and cover with foil.
6. Place pan in oven and bake for 35 minutes.

To complete the meal, serve with Potato wedges and salad.

Happy Home Cooking!

Sauce Update - March 28, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment