Saturday, March 10, 2012

Fried Chicken

Today is definitely not on the healthy list but man there is nothing like fried chicken. I must say I've always loved it. As to the unhealthy aspect well it's all about balance. Some of my dishes are really healthy but then there are a few that are really unhealthy, so it all averages out! Well at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

For the longest time I was intimidated by fried chicken, I'm not really sure why but it just seemed hard. When I first got married I really wanted to try it but I wasn't brave enough to try the real thing. So I found a recipe that you coated the chicken with ranch dressing and coat with bread crumbs and fry. It was ok but it wasn't the real thing. So after a year of getting comfortable with 'faux' fried chicken I took the daring step into the world of real fried chicken and I don't know why I was so intimidated! So if you are like me go ahead a give it a go, you will surprise yourself. 

The key is a candy thermometer to makes sure the oil is the right temperature and a meat thermometer to make sure that the chicken is cooked. I have a deep fat fryer and it actually works even better but I always feel like I'm wasting oil because I don't like reusing the oil after frying chicken or fish. Talking about oil I use peanut oil, it just adds to the flavor. Obviously if you have nut allergy or someone that you are cooking for I don't advise this and vegetable oil works great.

FRIED CHICKEN

Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients:

1 (3 to 3 ½ lb) broiler-fryer, cut up (I cheat and buy the pre-cut up chicken)
½ cup buttermilk
Tony's
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
¾ tsp black pepper
½ tsp ground red pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp paprika
1 large egg, beaten
½ cup buttermilk
Peanut oil

Directions:

1.   Season chicken with Tony's to taste and place in a dish. Cover with buttermilk and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour but overnight works good.


2.   Combine flour and next 5 ingredients, I put them in a ziploc bag, it easy and less messy to coat the chicken; stir well, and set aside. Combine egg and buttermilk; stir well.
3.   Dip chicken in egg mixture; dredge in flour mixture, coating each piece well, if you put the dry mix in a bowl. Or place all the pieces in the ziploc, seal and toss until all the chicken is coated well. If you want extra crispy fried chicken repeat procedure, heavily coating chicken pieces.
4.   Pour oil to dept of 1 inch into a large heavy skillet; heat to 335 degrees F. Fry chicken 20 to 25 minutes or until golden, turning to brown both sides. It should read 180 degrees on a meat 
 thermometer. 


5. Drain well on paper towels.

To complete the meal serve with corn on the cob, green beans and fries.

Happy Home Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment