Monday, May 7, 2012

BLT Pasta Salad

I had planned to spend this week focused on getting all the recipes from the shower posted but while I was surfing Pinterest I saw this recipe for BLT Pasta Salad. I instantly broke my promise to not print any new recipes.



One of my best friends Laura was coming over for a playdate today with her boys and my boys and I thought I would try it for lunch. The poor woman is constantly having to put up with me experimenting on her! You know you have a good friend when they do that willingly!

Just in case you don't know what a BLT is, its a sandwich made with Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato. Simple ingredients with maximum taste! I actually recently got to have an even better sandwich, a BBLT - Brisket, Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato. The brisket just sent the sandwich to another level!

Now back to the pasta salad. Serious what an awesome combination. I simply ADORE BLTs and pasta is pretty much my favorite food. So combining them is a sure fire winner.

I found the recipe on The Cheese Pusher blog and I adapted it to make it fit my tastes. I took out the thyme because I just didn't fancy it in this salad. I replaced it with my beloved Tony's, you should have seen that one coming! I added more mayonnaise and sour cream as I wanted it a little more creamy. I suffer from migraines and a friend told me recently she saw that a magnesium deficiency could cause them and she recommended adding spinach to my diet so when I went looking for arugula I found the mix with it and spinach. I'm really glad I added it!

Sorry the picture isn't very good, I took it with my phone!

Anyhow I hope you enjoy this yummy pasta salad. Perfect lunch with a good friend!!!!

BLT Pasta Salad

3 cups Rotini pasta
1/2 cup milk
10 slices thick-cut bacon
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp Tony's seasoning
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup grape tomatoes
Arugula and spinach salad mix
1 tbsp grates Parmesan

1. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and put into a large bowl. Mix in the milk and set aside.
2. Cook the bacon until crispy. Place on paper towel to drain and then crumble.
3. In a separate pan, bring 1 tsp of bacon drippings on low heat. Add the garlic and cook for no more than 1 minute.
4. Put the garlic and drippings into the bowl of pasta and mix.
5. Stir in the mayonnaise, sour cream and Tony's until fully combined.
6. Halve the grape tomatoes and add them, along with the arugula and spinach, to the pasta. Gently toss to
coat the vegetables.
7. Mix in all but 1 tsp of the bacon.
8. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
9. Garnish with the remaining bacon and a sprinkle of Parmesan.

Serves about 6.

Happy Home Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment