Thursday, May 24, 2012

Home cooking chaos!!

I was trying to think of an appropriate title for this post and the word chaos came to mind!

We are in a state of transition over here and this month has been really busy. I made the decision in April NOT to do a meal plan for May because I didn't know what the schedule was going to look like and decided I would fly by the seat of my pants.

BAD IDEA!

I'm not the most scheduled of people but after 2 years of boarding school
I learnt that I actually do well in a structured environment but seem to lack the skills to develop lasting routines. Becoming a wife and cooking has helped nurture some of those skills. I have a laundry schedule telling me which days to do which loads and to minimize the 'I don't have a clean ____' situation. For the longest time it had worked beautifully but I've noticed that over the past few months I've got off it and now Hello Chaos!

It's funny how the laundry and cooking were the two areas I have had some control and structure and now that I'm missing it I am at my wits end. I feel a kind of domestic instability which is spilling over into every aspect of my life. In turn it's leading to added stress on an already stressed load.

It has really highlighted to me the importance in planning when running a household. I've heard some people mention that you need to approach your role as home-keeper like being the CEO.

So time to get things straight again. I am going to spend the rest of May restructuring this house and doing a good clean out, including my pantry. I want to try and use what I have. My freezer is getting a little less packed and hopefully my hubby will refrain from adding more fish because soon all we will have in there is fish! Fish Fry time I think!

So I will try and check in with progress reports and do June's meal plan!!

Tonight I am trying Julia Child's Ratatouille recipe. One of the foresters my husband works with loves to garden and he came home with bags of beautiful eggplant, corn, zucchini, squash, green bell pepper and tomatoes. I've been wanting to give it a go for a while but have no idea what I'm doing!! So fingers crossed it will taste good! It looks messy but it's basically vegetable stew so I don't think stew ever really look pretty.

It was really delicious and got a thumbs up from all the men, although my father in law wanted more tomatoes while my husband argued there were enough.

I think it's a perfect summer dish because it's nice and light but very filling and HEALTHY!!! Doesn't make me feel bad about having a second helping because calorie wise it's probably really diet friendly.

Happy home cooking - minus the chaos!

No comments:

Post a Comment