Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Monthly Meal Planning - Introduction

It's seems that home cooking and family meals have taken a real hit over the past few decades, we got busier, we got lazier (if we're honest) and convenience got more convenient. Plus I think that as result of the liberation of women and in an attempt to get as far away from the kitchen as possible we have almost allowed the art of home cooking to become extinct.

But then as I've read blogs and talked with my friends I've noticed we all have this yearning for a simplier time when family was the centerpiece of our lives not the accessory. The experts are constantly telling us that for our children's mental and physical health and their safety we should have at least 2 family meals a week. We get told regularly how over-weight and obese our kids are getting and not to mention inactivity. And yet our lives seem to spin faster and faster. 

Growing up, my own family ended up in rarely having a family meal time, marital problems lead to avoidance of too much time together, I know that's the story for so many. But I remember the times around the big table in the kitchen that we ate around and I guess that I want that to be the norm, not the exception, in my family.

I got into couponing a few years ago, mainly because diapers cost a fortune and Pampers like to give out coupons, which I appreciate so much, plus an ever stricter budget. The money saving experts and Couponing bloggers say how when your budget is tight planning is the key to saving money. Monthly shopping trips instead of daily. So there's an added incentive to planning.

When we got married we were on a tight budget so eating out and take out wasn't really an option. This was the beginning of the journey I'm on exploring home cooking. Somewhere in the mix, as one of my dearest friends puts it, I started spoiling my husband and trying to make sure that we only had a dish once a month. Well I don't know about you but my memory is horrible and trying to remember what I cooked 3 weeks ago is not easy. So what does a girl do, well after years of working in finance and Excel being my best buddy I made a spreadsheet! And the spreadsheet has evolved into my monthly meal plan.

Now I know, because so many have said it, that they think monthly meal planning is a task but I want to show that it's not that huge a situation. Next month, March, I'm going to start the A Month of Home Cooking Dinners series, I'm inviting you to plan and cook with me for a month. As we get closer I'll give out more details. But I'm going to use February to get you prepared.

So as today is February 1st I want you to start a new spreadsheet or just simply stick a piece of paper on you refrigerator. Each day write down what you cook for dinner. You see the hardest part of a monthly meal plan is getting started. When I sat down 2 days ago to do my February plan I started by copying January's, editing the dates and within a few moments I have meal plan. I take into account any big events, birthdays, weddings, vacations, etc, adjust the plan for them and it's done. Printed and on the refrigerator. The first month is the hardest.

Then the shopping list, for me this time it turned into the exciting part. I went into my freezer, my pantry and refrigerator and did a stock take of what I had. Then I took my planner and worked out what ingredients I need for all the months meals. I took the items I already had off the list and made my 'produce' lists which I buy weekly because I like fresh. I went into my coupon folder and got online to find any more that I needed. 

I love to shop at Target, they are so much nicer than Walmart. Plus Target put out their own coupons which they will let you stack with a manufacturer coupon. Add in the Target Debit card 5% discount and it's wonderful to see how much you save. So yesterday I went and did my main grocery shop, at first the initial total was horrible. I gave Mrs Rhonda (sweetest lady you ever met!) my coupons and after swiping my debit card my total went down by $55, add in the savings from sale prices I saved almost $100 yesterday. Plus apart from milk, bread, produce and a few meat items I'm waiting to go on sale, I have everything I need. I tell you this so I can hopefully inspire you. I love watching TLC's Extreme Couponers but I know that in Louisiana we will never do a $1000 grocery shop for $1 but I saved 30% off my grocery bill which to me is huge. 

So go on try it for this month just write down what you cook each night, it will only take a minute. I've added the link below to a sheet you can simply print and stick on the refrigerator.

1 comment:

  1. I'm printing this today...I have to take the first step and not procrastinate!! Ty!

    ReplyDelete