Monday, June 4, 2012

Victoria Sponge Cake and God Save The Queen!

I was feeling very home sick and British this weekend. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth celebrates her Diamond Jubilee this weekend. And Britain has been encouraged to become a huge street party as in the old days.

I have a huge nostalgic pull to the early to middle 20th century. It seemed a simpler more elegant time. From the sixties on I lose interest and find that things became more out of control. I do feel that I was fortunate that I grew up in rural Northern Ireland in the 80s. Somehow it hadn't been completely tarnished by modern life and technology. There was still a really sense of community and not the modern Facebook community. One where you actually knew your neighbour.

Living in the city, I now live closer to my neighbours than ever and I'm sad to say I don't really know much about them. I remember as a child our neighbours making the afternoon walk up the hill and coming over for tea and to catch up on the 'news'.

I went to a little country Primary School with mainly farmers kids. Most of us are scattered all over now doing all sorts of things but it was a wonderful community to belong to. That was back when school dinners were real food and they still served dessert!!! Oh and full fat milk was ok then too!

I love life in America and have found a deep pride for my new home country. I value the principles it was founded on! I also feel a strong attachment to where I come from and the history that it represents. To me the Royal family are living history. I must give the Queen credit for her long 60 year reign and the grace she has faced all the challenges that the last six decades have thrown at her and her country. When you think about it Churchill was Prime Minister when she became Queen.

Like I said I wish I could have been home to join in the festivities. If she makes it to her Platinum Jubilee I'm going!!!!



So to honour Her Majesty and ease my home sickness I made a Victoria Sponge Cake. Nothing screams summer to me than a Victoria Sponge Cake with fresh whipped cream and strawberries! The cake got it's name from Queen Victoria who is said to have favoured it. Most add a layer of jam or curd as well but I like mine a simple cream version. Although just for a change the next one I make I will do so with jam!

I first made this cake when I was in school and it's the standard beginner cake to learn in Home Economics class as it teaches some great techniques like creaming butter and sugar and folding in flour. A quick note, sometimes the batter can start to curdle when you add the eggs to the butter and sugar. Do this stage slowly and if it looks likes it's starting add a little flour. That was drummed into me and probably one of the few things I remember the most from those days!

I have put the ingredients list in cups and measurements. Baking is so precise and a 'cup' isn't the most accurate measurement. I highly recommend if you bake a lot to get a set of kitchen scales and weigh out your ingredients. An interesting note on this particular cake, the traditional method on weighing the ingredients was to place the eggs on one side of a balance scale and then measure the other ingredients against them. Although this can lead to a drier cake so I recommend just individually measuring the ingredients.

You can even freeze this cake for up to 6 months, minus the cream and filling! Just let it cool completely and wrap in cling wrap, then put it in a freezer bag. You'll have it on hand for a quick dessert or afternoon treat!

I hope you enjoy making this yummy cake, I know I enjoyed my slice. So to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, congratulations of your anniversary and may God bless you! To everyone back home, hope you are having a wonderful time!

Victoria Sponge Cake

Ingredients:

8oz (2 sticks) butter, softened at room temperature
8oz (1 cup) sugar
4 medium eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
8oz (1 1/4 cups) self raising flour
Dash of milk

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
2. Grease and line two 8 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
3. Cream the butter and the sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy.


4. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping the sides after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
5. Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, adding a little extra milk if needed, the batter should be a soft dropping consistency.



6. Divide the batter between the cake pans and gently spread out with a spatula.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.



8. Remove from the oven and set aside in pan for 5 minutes. Remove cakes from pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
9. This stage is completely up to you and your preferences. Place one layer on a serving plate and spread with jam, lemon curd or whipping cream. You can also add some chopped up berries. Place the other layer on top. You can either top with more whippig cream and berries (my favourite) or dust with some powdered sugar.



Happy Home Cooking and God Save The Queen!

No comments:

Post a Comment