Thursday, June 28, 2012

Strawberry oatmeal bars

It's very rare that I see a recipe on the food network that I just have to make that day but Saturday was one of those days. I love the Pioneer Woman, she lives my dream life, a ranchers wife. Now I have my cowboy but we just need our ranch, one of these days!

Anyhow Bree is a woman after my own heart. She's not afraid of real ingredients. Saturday morning she had a recipe for Strawberry oatmeal bars. I didn't even get to see the whole segment but I was sold.

So I gave them a go that afternoon. Man can you say G. O. O. D. Good!!! They are like a yummy oatmeal cookie with delicious strawberry jam! Hey oatmeal is good for you!

I have to say I was a little disappointed in the recipe instructions on the food network website. Bree's recipes are normally so well written. I was glad I pulled the video up in my phone because there were a lot of details missing on the recipe. If you want to see the original recipe here is the link. In the video she said she put 2 sticks of butter, I went with the 1 3/4 sticks. I really don't know if it needs more or not. it was very crumbly so maybe the extra 1/4 stick would help with that. I used regular oats, but she used quick cook. I love oats so using the regular was fine with me.

So I decided to fill in the gaps. Oh and if like me you can't wait for them to cool they are delicious right out of the oven! They keep well in an airtight container.

Strawberry Oatmeal Bars



Ingredients:

1 3/4 sticks butter, cut into pieces
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups oats, quick cook or regular
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
12 oz jar strawberry preserves

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 13 inch rectangular pan. I used a glass pyrex one.
2. Add the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt to a bowl and mix to combine.
3. Add butter to the bowl and rub into the flour mixture. You can use a pastry cutter too.
4. Press half the oat mixture into the prepared pan.
5. Spread with the strawberry preserves.
6. Sprinkle the other half of the oat mixture over the top and gently pat down.
7. Bake until light brown, 30 - 40 minutes.
8. Once it has cooled, but into squares and store in an airtight container.

WARNING: If you eat it directly out of the oven, preserve might be hot, try not to burn yourself!!!! It's worth the risk.

Happy Home Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment