Monday, June 11, 2012

Grilled Pineapple & Chicken Quesadilla

One of the first things I realised when I moved to Louisiana is that they love their Mexican food. Apart from faijitas I wasn't the biggest fan until I got pregnant with my youngest. Then I seemed to want it all the time. So I have a new found appreciation of it, although there are still some restaurants we go to where it just looks like a puréed mess on a plate.

It is interesting when you start to look at different cuisines and how each kind have their own version of similar dishes. Take Cajun Jambalaya, very similar to Chinese fried rice or Italian
Risotto or Spanish paella. All very similar basic ingredients with a unique blend of spices to that region.

Well quesadillas to me are like a grilled sandwich only instead of bread you use tortillas. Now to jump to the pizza aisle, two of my favorite pizzas are BBQ chicken and Hawaiian. So when I was surfing Pinterest I found this recipe. Grilled pineapple and chicken quesadillas. Another genius idea!

So I figured I would give it a go. I believe The Pioneer Woman is the original creator of this recipe but I found it on The Girl Who Ate Everything blog. (by the way love her blog name and her blog!)

Now if you want to take it to the ultimate Home Cooking Diva level you could make your own tortillas. Trust me they are so easy. Plus I have to say its like tasting the difference from fresh baked bread and a store loaf that's been sitting on the shelf a few days. If you want to give them a try here is the recipe for Home Made Tortillas

I used my panini press to grill the pineapple and chicken and then finished it off on the stove on a skillet. I would have used the press for this but it wasn't big enough and I didn't fancy cleaning up the mess. Although I do know they have several Quesadilla makers available at affordable prices. Think I may add it to my wish list as I love quesadillas!

Also the original recipe called for toasting the tortillas before assembling them. I cut this step out because I like a less crispy quesadilla.

This makes a great lunch or snack food. It's also a great way to use up any leftover BBQ chicken, we always seem to have some. You could even throw the pineapple on the grill and then stick it in the refrigerator and it will really be a quick lunch.

Grilled Pineapple and Chicken Quesadillas


Ingredients:

8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
Butter
1/2 pineapple cut into quarter section
2 boneless chicken breast, pounded thin or butterflied
Tony's creole seasoning or other Cajun seasoning
2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
3 Tablespoons of BBQ sauce

Directions:

1. To grill pineapple: place wedges on panini press and close lid and grill. You can also cut into wedges, stick on skewers, and grill over low heat either on a grill, grill pan or skillet. Cut into slices and set aside.
2. To grill chicken: season with the Tony's to taste or just use salt and pepper if you don't want the spice. Place on the panini press and close lid and grill until done. I didn't clean the press after the pineapple because I was cooking the chicken straight away and pineapple juices added a little bonus to the chicken! When the chicken is done brush with the BBQ sauce and shred.


3. To assemble: take four tortillas and spread evenly with cheese, chicken and pineapple. Pour a little extra BBQ sauce over. Place the remaining four tortillas on top.
4. Melt a little butter in a skillet and add each quesadilla to the skillet. Cook until the bottom tortilla is slightly browned and then flip and cook on the other side until the cheese has melted
5. Cut each quesadilla into six wedges. Serve with sour cream and/or BBQ sauce.

Happy Home Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment