Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Chicken Wings

Chicken wings are one of those dishes that can be an appetizer, party snack or meal. Around here it's wing night once a month.

I have to admit that this is not completely from scratch, I do cheat and use bottled wing sauce. I simply haven't gone all the way and tried. I really want to because everytime I find a sauce I like the store stops carrying that brand.

So talking about sauces when I first made this I used Emeril's Hot Wing sauce. It's a really delicious sauce and wonderfully seasoned, hey it's Emeril! The only problem is I can't seem to find it at any of the local grocery stores. You can order it directly from his website or you can find it on Amazon.

I've tried a few others that I found at the grocery store but currently my favourite is Hooters sauce. I have always heard that Hooters has the best wings but I was sceptical because well what is Hooters really renowned for? Cute girls in skimpy shorts.

About a year ago the CBS show Undercover Boss was about Hooters. I was kinda shocked that the owner and CEO thought of Hooters as a family restaurant. Well after trying the wing sauce with my wings I decided I would have to give it a go. On Mother's Day they were offering free wings for all mothers. I told my husband that's where I wanted to go.

Well yes the uniforms are skimpy and the waitresses are all beautiful girls. But I have to say it was a very pleasant experience and the food was delicious!!! Ok so here is it, officially Hooters I apologise for my mis-judgement!

I do hope to give homemade wing sauce a go. Then I could control the spice level. But that is for a later date. Also if spicy isn't your thing then drizzle the wings with BBQ sauce.

The Blue Cheese Dressing is a must and so delicious. It doesn't last long around here. The further in advance you make it the better the taste. Home Made Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe.

I love adding baby carrots and celery to the plate and recently I started using baby sweet peppers. They are like mini bell peppers and so yummy. Plus the veggies even out the fried wings and fries!

Buffalo-style Chicken Wings


Ingredients:

20 whole chicken wings
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Vegetable oil, for frying
2 Tablespoons butter, softened
1 bottle of wing sauce
Baby carrots or 8 large carrots cut into sticks
8 celery ribs, cut into sticks
Baby sweet peppers
Seasoned fries

Directions:

1. Separate the chicken wings into drumettes and wings, discarding the wing tip joint. Place chicken wings and drumettes into a large ziplock bag.
2. In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and garlic powder. Add the seasoned flour tithe plastic bag and toss to coat well.
3. Pour the chicken wings and excess flour onto a baking sheet and spread evenly. Allow the chicken to sit on the floured baking sheet to dry out for about an hour.
4. Preheat deep fryer or a large pot filled halfway with vegetable oil to 350 degrees F.
5. Add the chicken to hot oil and fry until cooked through and crispy, about 10 - 13 minutes.
6. In a large bowl add the butter. Place the wings in the bowl and drizzle with the wing sauce. Toss to coat well. Serve hot with the fries, vegetables and Blue Cheese Dressing on the side.


Happy Home Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment