Saturday, November 10, 2012

A new journey!

It's a big day in Home Cooking Mama Land. I know I've mentioned it before but back on February 14th 2007 I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It's a weird thing because I don't fully get how all the components come together but basically it's a hormonal imbalance with can lead to infertility and diabetes. Somehow the drug metformin, which is mainly used to treat diabetes, helps.

Well I'm not diabetic, and even during pregnancy was no where near gestational diabetes. But there is a family history, so I have to some serious work if I don't want to end up with it. However I do have a tough time with hormones and irregular periods.

Not a day goes by that I deal with PCOS that I don't thank God that the boys were conceived quickly and the pregnancies successful. I know too many sufferers that battle with this and one dear friend that I'm praying hard for right now. At 7 weeks with my first son they found blood in the sac which is a sign of miscarriage. Thank God (and I do give God all the glory) there were no further issues and he's now my wild man running around digging my yard up and about to turn 5.

I never really gave my body time to correct the PCOS because I was pregnant within 3 weeks of being diagnosed. I then breast fed him for 18 months and 3 months later I got pregnant with my second son. I nursed him until he was 22 months. Honestly as a mother breast feeding was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. To provide my boys with perfect milk for so long was a privilege.

Well it's been 10 months and now my body is returning to a normal state, well maybe a non pregnant/breast feeding state would be better because normal is not normal. I had to stop taking the metformin because it was tearing my stomach up and over the past month I've been getting back on it. My doctor had put me on a good birth control pill to regulate the hormones but it wasn't working. I would get horrible migraines the days I didn't take the hormones and the first week of a new pack I felt like a monster she-devil! I saw my endocrinologist and his suggestions weren't too exciting but switching to seasonique (the pill you take constantly for 3 months) seemed to be the best option. But I was also told the weight had to come down. Why is that always so much easier said than done?

I told him I had been trying to do the work out program P90x, and had actually lost 2.5 inches off my waist and hips but had gained 10lbs (muscle weighs more than fat). The only problem has been consistency, my life is crazy and finding the time has not been easy. Having a strong support network is so critical to these things and I just haven't set myself up well for that.

I adore my Ob/gyn doctor, he's such a nice man and I really take on board his advise. He told me to try the Glycemic Load diet. I had actually read about this in a PCOS book but until now have not really looked at it. I had followed a lot of the suggestions from that book like getting rid of processed food.

I have a friend that a few years ago cut all carbs and sugar completely from her diet. She has seen amazing results and looks amazing now but I don't have her level of discipline and the thought of never eating chocolate or potatoes again just seemed scary.

So after I saw my doctor Wednesday I order the book. It came Friday and I've been reading it non stop. After the first few chapters all the talk about starch toxins had me mourning the loss of my beloved potatoes, bread and pasta. In my head it all makes sense but I have to reprogram my brain.

The good news is that chocolate and coffee do not have to go. He actually encourages a piece or two of chocolate to help ease the starch cravings, and I know there will be many. And my beloved coffee is here to stay!!!

One thing that did stick out was exercise. PCOS is something you always have but doesn't necessarily manifest itself. Mine didn't until I moved the USA back in 2003. One of the main changes in my lifestyle was that I went from walking EVERYWHERE to not. South Louisiana is not conducive to walking, it's hotter than hot. Baton Rouge is a lot different to Belfast in that the city is very spread out. My inactivity has been my downfall. Plus to a certain extent, marriage has not helped. I used to just eat when I was hungry, now I cook to schedule. Trust me I've enjoyed every bite that added the pounds on. Nobody created this situation but me.  

So I'm going to give it a go and I want to invite you all along with me on this adventure. Home Cooking Mama is starting a new journey to a world where starch is for ironing shirts and I will take control of my health.

My New Years resolution for 2012 was to be healthier and happier and well as the calendar seems to pass quicker and quicker I have to say I didn't really succeed. But there is still hope and there is always 2013!

Happy Home Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment