Sunday, November 11, 2012

Breakfast dilemma!

Breakfast! We have been told for generations that its the most important meal of the day. I have to say I've been good and bad over the years, however it has varied.

Recently I've been eating Weetabix cereal, it isn't easy to find here in the States. A little milk and a sprinkling of sugar, lots of yummy fiber. Alas no more! Weetabix is a cereal and cereals, with the exception of muesli and all bran, are on the no no list!

So what else can I have. I love some hot toast with Nutella spread. Problem - toast is bread. The thought of a spoon and the jar of Nutella crossed my mind but even though Nutella has a low glycemic load it has sugar, so I'm pretty sure eating the jar is not a good breakfast! I can still have sugar in extreme moderation, I emphasize EXTREME.

Another favorite in this house is cinnamon rolls, I'm particularly partial to the orange frosted ones. Yet again falls in the bread category.

Man our breakfasts are so not helpful to a low glycemic load lifestyle. Ok now what can I have that I have in my kitchen?

Well meat is ok so lets hit the bottom of the fridge where the bacon and sausage live. I have to admit I will never become Jewish because I have an incredible addiction to all things pork!!! So bacon and eggs here I come. My plate will feel empty, remember I grew up on good old fashioned Ulster Fries! If you have never had one you have never lived!!! Bacon, eggs, tomato, soda bread and mushrooms are your basic, depending on the chef. So my plate will be lacking bread. Like I said yesterday my brain is going to have reprogram itself.

Dr Thompson does have some yummy recipe ideas for breakfast that I will have I explore some more. But for this Sunday morning its sausage, bacon and scrambled eggs. I don't have any tomatoes otherwise I'd grill some. Then a few green grapes to fill me up. I have to say I didn't miss the toast as much as I though I would.



You know I think I could probably do with taking a walk today too. Dr Thompson's plan for exercise is basically 20 - 30 minutes walking every day which considering I used to walk everywhere and now don't, this could be a huge start!

Well that's the first breakfast over and I survived!!! A meal at time is how I'm going to have to take it. 

Happy Home Cooking!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment