Friday, November 30, 2012

Glycemic Load Update

Someone send me a message asking how the diet was going. Sorry I haven't updated or posted in a few weeks, I guess if you aren't on my personal facebook you won't know that on day 5 my whole family got that horrible, nasty stomach virus that is making the rounds. To say it has been a miserable few weeks is an understatement. It's a bad one and one of my friends ended up in the ER after having it because she got so dehydrated. It's not a 24 hour bug sadly, more like a week long one. Just when you think you are done it starts again. Then it takes a few more weeks to recover.

Of course having a 2 year old and a 4 year old with it was the hardest part. I would rather go through it three times myself that have to watch them.

The doctor's advise was a BRATTY diet Bananas, Rice, Apple Sauce, Toast, Tea and Yogurt. Well Bananas are out for me because just the smell can make me want to throw up (long story but my brother is involved!). And well Rice and Toast aren't really GL ideal items. I guess because tea and toast was always the cure for every aliment and problem growing up that I naturally went that directions plus lots of yummy yogurt. (I found this new yogurt at Target from Colorado and it's delicious but more about that later). I had to trade of GL diet for getting better.

So until about Thanksgiving all I was able to eat was tea, toast and yogurt. 

Thanksgiving dinner was so welcome, yummy turkey was just what my tummy needed. I did indulge a little with some roast potatoes, sweet potatoes and stuffing, but on the whole I behaved myself. 

Since then I've been so extremely busy that food has been way down on the list of things but I have tired to limit my starches. I'm not living a carb free life but I'm eating less than I used to. Like a friend that has the same condition and is on the same diet said sometimes you have to indulge a little. 

So in case anyone was wondering things haven't been going too well but probably picking my busiest time of the year was not the best idea. So it's baby steps. And I'm really excited that I have found a Beach Body coach that is local and super sweet. I've started my P90x again. At the end of the day it wasn't changing my diet that added the extra weight it was reducing my exercise. I have even stopped taking the Metformin and this time I think for good. It's so hard to take and honestly I don't see any improvement in the symptoms, I just add nausea to them. I'm not diabetic and after numerous letters from my health insurance company about good control of diabetes I want to go shout at them I AM NOT DIABETIC I have PCOS, which means I'm hormonally unstable (think about that one people, ha ha ha!). 

Yes diabetes is one of the long term effects of PCOS but so is heart disease and numerous other serious illness and with a bad history of heart disease in my family and little diabetes I'm thinking my heart rather than my blood sugar needs more attention. Plus my blood sugar, and insulin levels have always been perfect, especially during pregnancy when the PCOS makes you high risk for gestational diabetes.

I just want to be fit and healthy and it's going to be a process that takes time for me. Other people may not have the same struggles making changes, we all have our own battles and demons.

Anyhow I better sign off because tomorrow is my son's 5th birthday party and there are cookies and cupcakes to make. So let the powdered sugar flow because this Home Cooking Mama has to get baking, just not eating!!! Can't wait to post the pictures.

Happy Home Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment