Saturday, November 10, 2012

I didn't wait for Monday!

I spent today reading the book Glycemic Load Diet by Rob Thompson, M.D.


My husband had asked me the other day when I would start my diet and I told him Monday but after reading it all day I figure why not start today. Plus Dr Thompson has me completely convinced starches are toxic!

So tonight for dinner fried chicken. So chicken is good. My problem lies with the side dishes. After getting over my initial shock that I was frying EVERYTHING, the realization kicked in - fries are potatoes, my beloved potatoes. So no fries for mama!!! I have heard people substitute cauliflower for potatoes. I like cauliflower, that's very doable! Plus the glycemic load is 0!!!

So my first attempt at a potato alternative involved steaming some cauliflower florets then adding 2 ozs of finely grated La Gruyere cheese. Then using a fork I mashed them a little and mixed the cheese till it melted. The Gruyere just gave it that little extra something. It needs a little work but I think life after potatoes will not end up in another Irish Famine style disaster for me! I didn't even seek one of the boys French fries!!!


So time for a cup of tea!!

Happy Home Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment