Wednesday, October 24, 2012

My Back Up Singers

'No man it an island' I believe is what they say, and I think this applies to cooks as well, 'No cook is a kitchen island'. So I want to introduce you to 5 members of my culinary team...




First up is Plymouth, she is my favorite. She is so friendly, I highly recommend Plymouth Rocks. She has been known to come sit on the arm of the swing with us and on many an occasion has tried to get into the house. I guess she thinks she really is part of the family. 

Plymouth Rock

Then there is my Rhode Island Red, she's one of my most reliable layers.

Rhode Island Red
Then we have Cuckoo, she is a french Cuckoo Maran. She lays the most beautiful dark chocolate brown eggs that are beyond fantastic to bake with. The place we got her told us that they supply to bakeries that will only use their eggs for baking. I have to say that I do notice a difference. She does have an a little attitude and isn't the friendliest, French Madam!!!

Cuckoo

Next up, we have Sexlink. She's a cross and I'm not sure what. She's a great layer too. 

Sexlink
Then we have Beauty, she is an Australorp. I have to say that as pretty as she is she is my least favorite and she is extremely skittish and has been an escape artist since we got her. But still her eggs are yummy.

Beauty

I haven't bought store eggs in almost 3 years and I have noticed such a difference in the quality of cooking, especially baking. I no longer have issues with my cheesecake cracking and the cupcakes are so much better.

We all have a back up team in the kitchen, the store we buy our groceries from to the farmers that grow the products. As I've learnt over the last few years it nice when the distance between you and that person or thing is greatly reduced. You would be amazed how long an egg stays good, makes you wonder how long it's been since those store eggs were laid.

We did have a garden too for a while but that takes alot of time and effort. Although having fresh home grown vegetables is wonderful. We have been blessed this past year through one of the foresters my husband works with, he doesn't have green thumb he has two green hands. The beautiful vegetables he has blessed us with is amazing.

Anyhow just wanted to introduce you my ladies.

Happy Home Cooking from the Home Cooking Mama Chickens!

No comments:

Post a Comment