Monday, July 2, 2012

Country Fried Steak

I was introduced to Country Fried Steak back when I first moved to Louisiana. Its true southern cooking at its finest.

I make my gravy separate and before I cook the steaks. My reasons are firstly I like my steaks hot and crispy so having the gravy ready helps. Secondly I don't like the fried oily taste of making the gravy using the oil I fried the steaks. You can do this but like I said for me it's convenience and taste preference.

Cube steak is round steak or top sirloin that has been put through an electrical tenderizer to tenderize it and give it texture. It can also be done with a hand meat tenderizer and help relieve some stress with some good old fashioned beating! It's a fairly cheap cut of meat so great for the budget.

Country Fried Steak



Ingredients:

1/2 stick / 2oz butter
1 cup all-purpose flour plus 1 1/2 tablespoons
1/2 cup finely minced yellow onion
3 tsp Tony's seasoning or other Cajun seasoning
1 large egg
2 - 3 cups milk, as needed
Four 6 - 8 oz cube steaks
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Directions:

1. Make the gravy. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour to pan and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
2. Whisk in 1 1/2 cups of the milk, 1 tsp of Tonys seasoning, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper.
3. Bring the gravy to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 - 6 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and there is no raw flour taste. Add additional milk as necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
4. To cook steaks. Combine 1 cup flour with 1 tsp of Tonys seasoning in a shallow bowl. Whisk the egg, 1/2 cup milk and 1 tsp of Tony's in another shallow bowl.
5. Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Dredge the meat in the seasoned flour, then dip in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off, and then dredge in the flour again. Set the steaks aside in a plate.
6. Add 1/2 cup vegetable oil to a sauté pan and heat over medium-high heat until it is hot but not smoking. Carefully add the steaks and fry until golden, about 3 - 5 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towel to drain.
7. Serve the steaks with the hot gravy, mashed potatoes and vegetables.

Happy home cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment