Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Baked Ham


I LOVE baked ham, if I had to choose between turkey and ham, ham would win everytime.

So I did promise a secret ingredient that has an Irish touch...




GUINNESS!

OK so you are wondering what on earth is she going to do with the Guinness, well the night before the big meal I place the ham in a big pot and pour a few bottles of Guinness over the ham. Then turn the heat on the stove to medium and let the ham boil in the Guinness turning it over after an hour and cook for a further hour. When it has cooled place it in the fridge.

If you want to save time the next day place it in the roast pan you will use and wrap in foil. When it's time to put the ham in the oven I just pour a healthy helping of honey over and cook it according the type of ham it is.

The Guinness adds an extra flavor and anyone that has tried it love it. It's been a tradition in my family and the smell takes me back to Christmas Eve as a child sneaking into the kitchen to see if my parents were in bed so I could see my presents. So for me aside from the smell of a live Christmas tree nothing screams the holidays like the ham on the stove boiling in Guinness!

No comments:

Post a Comment